Zizek: "European leftists are rejecting the Kurds over their reliance on the US. It is just another disgusting betrayal"
I suppose this is narrowly true, but it seems rather odd to call this the "disgusting betrayal", especially in light of the facts Zizek leaves unmentioned:
1., the destruction and deliberate Balkanization of Iraqi civil society and state institutions played a large role in the rise/formation of Isis, which was funded and armed largely by KSA and Qatari billionaires. This was well known to the US (see Wikileaks), and they did fuck all to prevent it. (By contrast, 'Kurdish Iraq' has functioning institutions primarily because the US allowed it, by not deliberately destroying them post invasion (which they did do to the rest of Iraq).)
2. The US fomented the Syrian Civil war, trained and armed Al Qaeda offshoot Al Nusra, which later worked with or merged with ISIS, because they were hoping to destroy yet another country that was friendly with Iran, and which had a pretty tolerant and fairly open society for the region up until the start of the war.
3. As such, the question needs asking, why would the US defend the Kurds in Northern Syria at all, except to add to the mess?
4. Once ISIS was mostly contained thanks to the Russians stepping in, the US refused to allow the PYD to talk to and come to terms with the Syrian government, thereby leaving them open to attack by Turkey (which was another US/NATO ally also allowing ISIS to attack Rojava). The US aided Turkey further by demolishing Turkey-facing defenses, while blocking the Syrian army from coming to the aid of NE Syria after they allowed Turkey to start its attack (which was at least 2 months in the making).
5. Then the US (and EU countries) allowed its NATO ally Turkey to attack Rojava, using US/Western-bought weaponry.
(6. the Iraqi Kurds Zizek here praises completely shafted the Yezidis, by disarming them while promising to defend them from ISIS, then turning tail and leaving them unarmed.)
So yeah, why trust and work with the US empire again? (this not to say that they aren't allowed to make mistakes, of course. We all will. But I'm mainly responding to zizeks and the imperialist left nonsense here.)
And why the fuck do you call out "european leftists" (whoever they are) but not the US empire, Slavoj?